The Francis Lewis High School summer reading assignment has been designed to provide students with the opportunity to further develop their reading skills during the summer months. The assignment provides choices of fiction and nonfiction texts appropriate to the grade levels that students will be entering in the fall.
- Read one full-length work of fiction from the approved list for English Language Arts.
- Complete five journal entries based on the model below for fiction work.
- Read one full-length work of nonfiction from the approved list for Social Studies.
- Complete five journal entries based on the model below for nonfiction.
- Complete vocabulary.com list for the grade level you will be entering this Fall.
*Please submit journals to appropriate teacher the first week of class. These journals will count as a grade in both the English Language Arts and Social Studies classes.
* Students who have been accepted into Advanced Placement and/or Gateway Honors courses in English and Social Studies should do the summer assignments for those courses in place of this assignment. Students who have been accepted into an Advanced Placement course in only one subject should do this assignment as well as the appropriate Advanced Placement summer assignment.
* Below you can find a link to the appropriate grade level assignments.
- All work must be your own. Do not plagiarize. You will not receive credit for the assignment if your work is copied from any source.
- Short stories and journal templates (with model entries) are available on the English Department website. Please visit francislewisenglish.com/summer for downloadable PDFs of the stories available for your grade level.
- Nonfiction articles and journal templates (with model entries) are available on the Social Studies Department website. Please visit francislewissocialstudies.com/summer for downloadable PDFs of the articles available for your grade level.
- The Vocabulary.com word list for incoming ninth graders can be found at http://www.vocabulary.com/lists/674097. To start playing the list, click the “Learn this List” button next to the list title. If you do not have a Vocabulary.com account, you will need to create one. Be sure to add Francis Lewis High School to the “My School” section of your profile.
Other Websites you need to visit:
Francis Lewis English Language Arts Website
* English Language Arts summer assignment can be found on the English Language Arts website .
Assignments For Each Grade Level
Summer Assignments are finalized and published on this page each year by June 15.
As of June 15, 2017, there have been important adjustments to the English 1 and English 4 Summer assignments.
- The English 1 Summer Assignment has been modified. You may locate the correct assignment below.
- Students who were enrolled in English 3 for the 2016-17 school year may have been issued a Summer Assignment for English 4 (2017-18) by Mr. Roy. This assignment has been modified as of June 15. The correct assignment is located below, under English 4 (non-IB Diploma Program).
The previously-posted Art History summer assignment has been modified. Please see below for the correct assignment.
The summer assignment for U.S. History (Pre-IB Diploma Program) is now available below.
Why Summer Assignments?
- Summer assignments prepare students for the next year's curriculum. Keeping minds sharp and in focus over the summer break is important for success in the new school year.
- Assignments are for specific subjects and students, as noted below.
When are they due?
- Due dates for the assignments are indicated for each subject with most being due the first week of the new school year.
- For questions, please contact the Advanced Academics Office at (713) 522-5960.
Please see detailed 2017 summer assignments below:
Last Update 6/15/2017