EXAMPLES OF NORM VIOLATIONS
– WALK ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE SIDEWALK
– HAVE A ANIMATED CONVERSATION WITH YOURSELF IN PUBLIC
– LOOK UP ALL THE TIME
– SAY HELLO TO EVERYONE
– WHEN PEOPLE ASK YOU HOW YOU ARE DOING, TELL THEM ABOUT YOUR WHOLE DAY
– WEAR YOUR CLOTHES BACKWARDS
– DON’T TAKE YOUR HAT, COAT, & GLOVES OFF, EVEN INSIDE.
– VIOLATE PEOPLES PERSONAL SPACE
– WHISPER TO WHEN YOU TALK
– YELL WHEN YOU TALK
– ASK STRANGERS IF YOU CAN CUT IN LINE. IF THEY ASK WHY YOU NEED TO, THEN SAY YOU DON’T REALLY FEEL LIKE WAITING FOR VERY LONG.
– AT YOUR PARENTS HOME ASK FOR PERMISSION TO DO EVERYTHING (GET A DRINK, USE THE BATHROOM, WATCH TV, ETC)
– DON’T FLUSH WHEN YOU ARE DONE
– TALK TO OTHERS WHILE THEY ARE BUSY
– TALK TO SOMEONE IN ANOTHER STALL
– ASK FOR THEIR TOILET PAPER
– TALK TO STRANGERS
– FACE THE BACK OF THE ELEVATOR
– PUSH THE BUTTONS FOR FLOORS YOUR NOT GOING TO
NEVER GET OFF
– SAY YOU WILL "WAITE FOR THE NEXT ONE" WHEN ONLY ONE PERSON IS ON IT
– GO ELEVATOR SURFING
– STAND RIGHT BY SOMEONE EVEN WHEN YOU ARE THE ONLY 2 PEOPLE IN THE ELEVATOR
– SIT IN OTHER PEOPLE’S CHAIRS EVERY DAY
– MAKE CONSTANT EYE CONTACT WITH THE INSTRUCTOR
– NEVER MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE INSTRUCTOR / NEVER BREAK EYE CONTACT WITH THE INSTRUCTOR
– TALK AND THEN RAISE YOUR HAND
– SIT ON THE FRONT ROW AND PICK YOUR NOSE
– NEVER BRING A BOOK, PENCIL, OR PAPER
– READ A NOVEL DURING CLASS
– EAT SOUP WITH A FORK
– EAT DESERT FIRST
– EAT STEAK WITH A KNIFE AND SPOON
– EAT WITH YOUR HANDS
– EAT OFF OTHER PEOPLE’S PLATES
– USE OVERLY FORMAL EATING ETIQUETTE WHEN EATING WITH FRIENDS OR FAMILY
– BE RUDE TO THE WAITER AND THEN APOLOGIZE AND THEN BE RUDE AGAIN
– BRING YOUR OWN CHEESE AND ASK THEM TO PUT IT ON YOUR HAMBURGER.
– WALK THROUGH THE DRIVE THROUGH
– DRIVE BACKWARDS THROUGH THE DRIVE THROUGH
– ORDER FOOD THAT IS NOT ON THE MENU
– ASK FOR SUBSTITUTIONS EVEN WHEN IT SAYS "NO SUBSTITUTIONS"
– SAY GOODBYE WHEN YOU ANSWER THE PHONE
– SAY HELLO WHEN YOU HANG UP
– SAY "I LOVE YOU" WHEN ENDING A CONVERSATION EVEN WITH FRIENDS AND STRANGERS
– REFUSE TO TAKE A MESSAGE
– ANSWER THE PHONE AND WAIT FOR THE OTHER PERSON TO SPEAK FIRST.
– DON’T ATTEMPT TO FILL IN, UNCOMFORTABLE PAUSES IN CONVERSATIONS
– PRETEND YOU ARE AN ANSWERING MACHINE
– WHEN PEOPLE CALL WITH WRONG NUMBER TELL THEM THAT THE PERSON THEY ARE LOOKING FOR WAS ARRESTED, THAT YOU’RE A COP, AND YOU HAVE SOME QUESTIONS YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK
– ASK TELE- MARKETERS IF YOU CAN CALL THEM BACK
Social Deviance And Social Norms Essay
Social deviance is a violation of social norms. So what qualifies as a social deviant? According to sociologist, Howard S. Becker the best definition of social deviance is, “It is not the act itself, but the reactions to the act, that do something deviant.” In cultures around the world, there are many practices Americans find deviant, but in other cultures, it’s the norm. In many countries around the world, girls are married as young as 11 years old. To Americans, that is considered child abuse and rape, but that is only because of our social norms. To the men and parents in different countries, it is perfectly normal because their social norms. In America, social deviance comes in many different forms. We have our sexual deviants, criminal deviants, body modification deviants and many others. The definition of social deviance is constantly changing due to the acceptance of deviant behavior.
Tattoos became socially acceptable in the 1980’s. Before that, tattoos were associated with deviants such as gangs, criminals, and bikers. To be tattooed meant that you were a violent social outcast. Today, getting a tattoo is one of the most socially normal things to do. Tattoos and piercings are everywhere, people of all backgrounds and ages have them. Tattoo artist makes a very good living owning a tattoo and piercing shop. According to Statistic Brain, it is estimated that America has 21,000 tattoo studios with more opening daily, and about 45, million Americans have at least one tattoo. On a similar form a deviant appearance modification, there are those that dedicated their entire life to changing their appearance.
Dennis Avner, also known as “Stalking Cat”. He has made several modifications to his body, from full-face tattoos, fanged dentures, steel implants for detachable "whiskers", and many other painful modifications. He did this to achieve oneness with what he calls his totem, the female tiger. Avner considered himself bi-sexual. He associated with the furry culture, and attended several furry conventions. Imagine how he would have been looked at thirty years ago.
Appearance modification is the lighter side of social deviance. Other forms of deviance include serial murder, incest, rape and pedophilia. One of the most famous of violent social deviance would have to be Theodore Bundy. Theodore Bundy was a serial murderer and rapist. He killed dozens of women across four states. He was executed, by way of electrocution, in Florida in 1989. He was an extreme case of social deviance.
Rape is an awful, but real type of social deviance. Whether it is from a stranger, friend, relative or even a husband; According to RAINN (Rape, Abuse, Incest, National, Network) an American is assaulted every two minutes.
In other cultures, rape is a way of marrying the women of your choice. “Marriage by capture” practiced in Hmong culture. Hmong men simply pick a girl, take her to their home and rape her, then they are considered married. To Americans, that is a...
Loading: Checking Spelling0%