Collect several good essay ideas related to the field of personal interest à Take notes during the process of research à Develop an outline à Make a draft à Revise & submit a final paper to the teacher.
Sounds easy? This simple example is enough to get an overall idea of how to write a process essay. It does not matter whether a writer describes and explains a long-lasting process or a short action. It would be a process analysis essay.
GRAB YOUR PERSONAL WRITER
If you want to understand how to write a process essay, the best solution is turning for help to the professional academic essay writers with a rich writing experience. Another option is to review this article, which contains everything a student should know before writing an academic essay of this type.
What Is a Process Essay?
Before learning how to write a process essay of A level, it is critical to define the term. A process analysis essay refers to the type of academic writing, which contains a detailed description of the particular process in the shape of the step-by-step guide. This form of essay is popular in business & technical writing too. Some of the best examples of process essays include:
- Instruction/owner’s manual
- User’s guide
- “How to…” articles
- Security instructions
The student should test the process himself before writing instruction or manual. It would be the best answer to the question, “What is a process essay?”
How to Write a Process Essay: Outline, Introduction, Body, & Conclusion
Process Essay Outline
There is not much to say about the process essay outline because the structure repeats the steps required to complete a certain procedure. Having an outline is helpful in any situation associated with academic writing. Put down every stage in chronological order. Once the student has an outline, he/she may later add some details depending on the process development to come up with the whole body. The structure is common:
- Introduction paragraph (mention the process to discuss)
- Body paragraphs (list the stage and provide details)
- Conclusion (specify what the expected outcome should be + share some success indicators)
The length of the essay depends on whether the chosen procedure is time-consuming or not. Do not pick something extra fast not to have a few-sentences essay in the end.
Process Essay Introduction
It does not matter whether the essay is describing the way to get chocolate out of milk and coconuts, explaining the procedure of vaccination, or interpreting the steps required to write a book – it is important to identify the target audience from the start! If it is an average user, avoid difficult terms. In case you write to satisfy the curiosity of the advanced users, do not mind to include various professional terms to prove your competence in the chosen field.
Do not worry about the structure. The best thing about this type of academic assignment is that the step-by-step process itself provides a student with the correct structure. Still, experts recommend having an outline.
Start the opening paragraph by determining the analyzed procedure and share personal ideas on why this specific process is interesting & important to observe. It is not necessary to cover the history or background of the discussed procedure.
Example of Process Essay Paragraph
Do not include any details that do not relate to the process itself. If the required tools & equipment are rare, tell the reader some ways to get these resources. Write down the warnings about the possible safety hazards to prevent the reader from falling into the trap/injuring. Describing the steps alone might be dull. To enrich the writing, add the common mistakes to avoid (see example) and provide helpful tips to make the process simpler & quicker.
Add every step in chronological order with the help of clear words. If there are similar steps or those that can be performed at different stages, mention it to acknowledge the reader. To prevent confusing situations/failures, experts recommend subdividing the steps of especially long processes (example: Step 1A, 1B, etc.)
“A process analysis essay always uses the second person – “you.” It sounds more personal, and the reader trusts the writer. Be ready to apply a plenty of transitional words & phrases! They make the procedure description logical and clear to every reader. Try to insert different transitions to prevent the text from being repetitive. During the process of writing the instruction or manual, do the steps described in the text to check whether everything works the way it should before offering the same actions to the target audience.”
Professor Pryce, academic counselor and online writing tutors at NerdyMates
Writing Process Essay Conclusion
By the end of the instruction, the reader/user must be able to repeat the provided actions to activate the process or solve the problem alone. If the reader cannot do that, it means the writer failed to give clear, correct instructions.
Start the concluding paragraph with the short review of the entire process from A to Z - help the readers recall what they were doing, how long, and what the expected results should be. While the body paragraphs provide the detailed interpretation of each stage, a conclusion must contain a single short sentence summarizing every step of the process. It should look like the opening sentence of this article.
Keep in Mind Helpful Process Analysis Essay Tips
While writing this type of academic essay, recall these professional tips & tricks to earn A+!
- Say what you are doing to describe the action – it would be the paper’s topic, precise, clear, and educating. Narrow down the topic if it sounds broad. Example: Instead of calling the instruction “How to Install Windows” make it “How to Install Windows 10 on the most recent Asus models (name them).”
- Get ready with an outline, which is the structure of the essay.
- Name the requirements like the resources, equipment, instruments, stuff, skills, and knowledge the person will need to complete the process. If more than one person is required, mention it.
- Identify technical & professional terms in the text: In case the manual explains a procedure based on special, technical knowledge/skills, such as carpentry, it is better to include the definitions of the specific terms the reader might not know. If your teacher allows, enrich the essay with images, signs, graphs, and tables to explain the word.
- Each good instruction should contain warnings/cautions. List the possible threats & security hazards along with the obstacles the reader may face in the process. Use active voice in this part.
- Finish the manual/instruction with an explanation of what the person should be ready to obtain once the procedure is over (stress the importance of experiment). It is important to list the success factors. Example: “The cooked dumplings should not look tenderized/taste raw.
- Add images & more techniques to let the reader stick to the instructions simpler (for instance, “peach color” may be perceived as various textures by various individuals.”
It is time to discuss the best process analysis essay topics of school & college level!
ORDER PROCESS ANALYSIS ESSAY HERE
30 Stunning Process Essay Topics to Analyze!
Which would be a good topic for a process essay? If the teacher does not give a specific topic, it means the students got lucky to select the processes they know the best. It is a great idea to have a look at the examples of good topics shared by the top college students with our blog. Here we go!
Process Essay Topics for High School
- Fast & furious process of making homemade ice-cream to serve children's desires
- Step-by-step instruction to laundry services
- Making pizza with mozzarella, tomatoes, and sausages becomes easy with this manual
- Installing latest macOS High Sierra on older models of Mac
- Several steps to fix a hole in the wall once it needs a repair
- Simple ways to create & develop a successful character in “Sims”
- Washing the hair properly predetermines its health & overall appearance
- How to make a bob haircut?
- What about the steps to making pinatas for different holidays and special events?
- Is there a secret of organizing the best New Year Corporate Party in the world?
Process Essay Topics for College
- Things that would help a family to decorate its new house in empire style with the minimum financial investments
- Step-by-step instruction to using vehicle services like changing an automobile’s oil/washing a car
- Successful methods to conduct in-depth research to succeed in college writing
- How to prepare a powerful, eye-catching LinkedIn account to attract the best employers from the United States?
- What are the effective ways to become a country’s leader?
- What is the process of grading a college paper of a student?
- The process of vaccinating people from the medical perspective
- The way alcohol-addiction develop on the example of younger, unemployed male population
- Stages every business startup should pass to survive and become successful on the market
- Different phases children from overseas should pass to adapt in the United Kingdom
Interesting Process Essay Topics
- Professional approaches to formatting & editing articles to be published in the local newspapers/magazines/website blogs
- Several effective methods to get ready for the first job interview in the individual’s life
- Things to include in any dish with broccoli to make it taste delicious
- What is the process of launching an e-Commerce/online business?
- What is the process of hunting a wild deer & making a dish out of its meat?
- How do Hollywood celebrities get ready for the red carpet?
- Stages McDonald’s has passed to become world’s leading hamburger and fast food restaurant chain
- Secrets of looking stylish & fashionable having a limited budget
- Things movie directors do before starting to shoot the film
- What is the process of producing oxygen by particular plants?
Can I Get Some Interesting Process Essay Examples?
Here is one of the professional process essay examples shared by the college students who worked on a dental project to gain their PhDs.
Where Can I Get More Process Analysis Essay Topics?
A single example and a full list of topic ideas may be not enough. In case you have a desire to review more free samples of essays, a professional online writing service is ready to share them with every student in trouble. It is possible to find several good samples in the college library or archive where some of the most talented graduates keep their top works to share them with the modern generation. The smartest option is to find the essays written by the famous graduate authors. A student is a lucky one if he studies in the same college with a world’s known essay author. Students can find many examples of essays online by entering the necessary keywords.
Use this list of outstanding process essay topics whenever the teacher gives a right to choose a topic. What if a student still has problems with understanding an assignment? The best option then is to find the official academic company’s service, which offers custom essays & research papers on all possible topics in the world!
You may ask yourself, how do I work this?
(Yes, thanks to David Byrne and the Talking Heads for my opening line.)
I don’t know about you, but I’ve asked this question more than once in my lifetime.
I’m sure you’ve asked this question many times, too. For example, how do I change my ringtone? How do I sign up for fall classes? Or how to I pick a topic for my process essay?
It’s the simple “How do I…” or “How to…” statement that is the basic premise of a process essay. In a nutshell, a process essay tells readers how to do something. (In a way, this blog post is an informal process essay, too! Whoa!)
Keep reading to learn more, as this post explains the basics of a process essay and lists 15 process essay topics to get you started.
Process Essay Basics
As the title of the essay implies, a process essay tells readers how to do something and is essentially a step-by-step essay that explains a process.
But remember, a process essay is not a set of instructions.
You’re writing an essay, so write in essay format and choose a somewhat simple process. Don’t choose a topic that is so complex that you’d need to write an instruction manual to fully explain the process.
This also means that you shouldn’t number each step and you will need to use appropriate transitions to link each step. While it’s tempting (and certainly much easier) to simply link each step with “..and then you do this” “and then you do that”, don’t because that makes for boring reading.
Time is also an important element when writing a process essay. I don’t mean the time you spend writing the essay. I mean the time it will take your audience to complete the process you’re explaining. So help your readers by being specific about how long it will take.
Not quite sure how to link ideas or which time cues might help readers? You might try a few of these transitions:
- First, second, etc. (Be careful about using these, as you don’t want to use them in place of numbering.)
- Before this, before
- At the same time, simultaneously, during
- After a few minutes, after a few hours, after 24 hours
- Finally, last, lastly
Now that you have a better understanding of what makes a good process essay let’s move on to finding a topic for your paper. (See what I did there by using a transition?)
15 Process Essay Topics That Make Sense
Check out this list of process essay topics to help inspire your next writing masterpiece.
Write a process to explain how to:
1. Change Facebook privacy settings
Just about everyone could use some help changing privacy settings on Facebook. This type of process essay can easily slip into a set of directions though, so find a clever or humorous way to tell readers how to change their settings (without making them want to pull out their hair).
2. Make a good first impression
There are two key points in life where people are eager to make a good first impression: a job interview and a first date. Of course, your explanation of how to speak, act, and dress will be different for each scenario, so don’t try to write a general essay about making a good impression in every situation. Pick a specific scenario and go with it.
3. Master Call of Duty (or another video game)
If you’re a hard-core gamer, beating Call of Duty might be your life’s mission. If you want to help others complete their missions, you might write about mastering the game or simply making it through a particularly difficult section of the game.
4. Teach someone how to text
Granted, most people today already know how to text, but do you know anyone in your life, such as your great-grandmother or your four-year-old brother, who doesn’t understand texting?
Choose your words carefully. Technology can be difficult to understand, especially if you use too many terms that may be unfamiliar to your audience.
5. Train your dog to sit (or do another trick)
I’ve tried to train my dog, and he still ignores me. Part of your process for training a dog might include a few examples of what not to do. This would certainly help people like me who haven’t been able to teach their old dogs any new tricks!
6. Use Foursquare (or other social media) to meet people in your area
This essay might be less about how to actually use the app and more about how to use the technology to your advantage. How can the technology help you meet people, and why is meeting people in this way a good idea?
7. Draw a cow
When explaining how to draw an image, it’s a good idea to provide a few sketches to help readers see what you’re explaining.
Of course, you can tell someone how to draw another object, but I think it would be more fun to explain how to draw a cow. Besides, who wouldn’t want to learn to draw an awesome looking cow like the one I’ve included below?
Mouldy Sponge (www.sketchport.com )
8. Set up a good online dating profile
What makes an online profile good? That’s a tricky question.
Everyone is looking for different characteristics and personality traits in a partner, so your task in this process essay is to determine what type of person you’d like to attract and then explain to readers how to attract that person. If you’re a dog person, for instance, and want to avoid cat people, it’s probably a good idea to state that in your profile.
9. Shoot a perfect free throw
The first consideration when explaining how to shoot a perfect free throw is the experience level of your audience.
Is your audience a group of basketball players who would just like a few extra pointers on how to improve their game? Or, is your audience made of people who have never picked up a basketball and don’t even know what a free throw is?
Your audience will determine the language you use and what information you’ll include.
10.Take an amazing selfie
If you’ve ever taken a bad selfie and promptly deleted it before it ever made it to social media, then you know what not to do when taking a selfie.
So what makes a good selfie? Is it your smile, your pose, the people you’re with, or the background image? How do you combine these elements to take a selfie worthy of envy?
11. Use Etsy to start a small business
Have you started selling your handmade products on Etsy? Have you made enough money to consider quitting your other part-time job? If so, try sharing your knowledge, your experiences, and your secrets to success.
12. Bathe a cat
I don’t know how many of you have ever been able to successfully bathe a cat, but if you’re one of the select few, why not explain to your readers how it’s done!
13. Survive another boring English class
Let’s face it, lectures can be b-o-r-i-n-g. You can only listen to a professor ramble on about symbolism and metaphor for so long. So how do you get through the lecture? Try offering some practical tips on how to take notes or how to engage in the material.
You might also try writing a more lighthearted piece, explaining the importance of how quality doodling can help students stay awake.
14. Look like a fashionista
If you have the gift of style, and think those around you could use a little advice, help them out by explaining what they need to do to look fabulous, such as a hip new haircut, a fabulous new pair of shoes, or a make-under.
15. Change the oil in your car
This step-by-step process can be a challenge because it lends itself to a set of instructions. Resist the temptation to write instructions. Instead, try mixing in practical advice, tips on what not to do, and perhaps even a few funny stories about your own mistakes.
Quick Tips on Choosing a Topic and Writing a Process Essay
As you finalize your topic choice, be sure to choose a process you’ve completed many times and that you can explain to someone else.
Need more ideas? Check out these example process essays.
If you don’t know a lot about the topic and want to research the process, you’ll learn something new, but this might not be the easiest path to writing the essay. If you haven’t already mastered the process, it will be hard to learn and write all at once.
You might even want to complete the process a few times before you begin writing to help you remember the order of steps and which steps are most important.
Finally, here’s an important tip for after you’ve written your essay.
Read your draft and follow your own advice. See if you can actually complete the process by following your step-by-step explanation. (Of course, this won’t work for every process essay, as you can’t exactly train your dog in an afternoon, but it certainly works for essays that focus on quick processes like changing Facebook settings or taking a good selfie.)
If you’re trying to complete the process by reading your own paper, but find you are having trouble, your readers will have trouble too. This means you’ll need to do some revision.
Know who else can help you with revision? A Kibin editor. Don’t hesitate to get some extra help to make your paper stand out!
Psst... 98% of Kibin users report better grades! Get inspiration from over 500,000 example essays.